Sri Layan Sithi Vinayagar Temple

73, Keong Saik Road, Singapore - 089167
worshipping hours - 7:30 am to 12:00 noon | 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
+65 - 6221 4853
sttemple_sg@yahoo.com

Sri Thendayuthapani Temple

15, Tank Road, Singapore - 238065
worshipping hours - 8:00 am to 12:00 noon | 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
+65 - 6737 9393
sttemple_sg@yahoo.com

Welcome to the Home Page of Sri Thendayuthapani Temple, Singapore

The Almighty Lord Sri Thendayuthapani

Sri Thendayuthapani Temple also known as Chettiars' Temple is one of the oldest temple in Singapore and was built in the year 1859 A.D. by Nattukkottai Chettiars. Chettiars' Temple Society, the management body of Sri Thendayuthapani Temple also administers another temple Sri Layan Sithi Vinayagar Temple located in the center of China Town at 73, Keong Saik Road.

Sri Thendayuthapani temple listed in Singapore Tourism Board, as a tourist attraction, has a picturesque location and magnificent vicinity. It sprawls over a spacious area and is airy and bright. The main deity of this temple is Lord Sri Thendayuthapani also called Murugan. Lord Thendayuthapani has other names such as Balasubrahmanyan, Shanmukhan, Swaminathan, Vallimanalan, Palaniandavar, Arumugan, Saravanan, Sevar Kodiyon, etc.

At the entrance of the main sanctum, Lord Jambu Vinayagar has been erected on the right and Idumban on the left. In 1878, two separate sanctums were built for Lord Sundareswarar and Meenakshi Amman (incarnation of Lord Sivan and Goddess Sakthi). 

Later, all other important deities including the Navagrahas were erected.

The Temple has a beautifully decorated "Alangara Mandapam" which is used on auspicious days to place the procession deity. Poojas are performed by Pandarams for deities in Sri Thendayuthapani Sanctum and by Sivacharyas (Brahmins) for deities in other sanctums.

As a landmark of all Hindu Temples in Singapore, 75 feet tall RAJAGOPURAM was completed in 1983. The consecration ceremony was conducted on 24th November 1983. During reconstruction, modern amenities were added to the temple that includes a Marriage hall with dining facility.

The temple was renovated and repainted again in 1996, followed by consecraton function on 29th November 1996.

After 13 years, the temple went through a renovation process and the recent consecration function was held on Friday, 27th of November 2009. 

Now,the temple has a separate staff quarters, a library, an office room and a spacious and well-decorated stage for cultural performances during special occasions.

Inside View of the Sanctum until 1980

Inside view of the Sanctum after 1983

Every year six important festivals are celebrated with great pomp and grandeur, which are: ThaiPusam, LetchaArchanai for Meenakshi Amman & Durgai Amman, Navarathri, Skantha Shashti and Thiru Karthigai. Click here for more details on festivals and occasions.

Annadhanam (Free Lunch) On the occasion of Guru Poojai and Karthigai (an auspicious day falling on every month), delicious varieties of dishes is being served to the devotees in the afternoon after the prayer. 

The contact details for the temple is as follows

Sri Thendayuthapani Temple (also known as Chettiars' Temple)
15, Tank Road
Singapore 238065
Phone: +65 - 6737 9393
Fax: +65 - 6735 0804


e-Mail for Admin Related: chtemple@singnet.com.sg 

Click here for Location map